Human Biology Concepts and Current Issues with mybiologyby Johnson, Michael D.
step-by-step solutions for this book.
Only one copy
in stock at this price.
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Award-winning teacher Michael D. Johnson catches your interest immediately by connecting basic biology concepts to real-world issues that are relevant to your life. Through a storytelling approach and extensive online support, Human Biology: Concepts and Current Issues, Sixth Edition not only demystifies how the human body works but helps you to become a better consumer of health and science information. Each chapter now opens with Johnsonís popular "Current Issue" essays, and inside each chapter are entries from the authorís own, frequently updated blog.
Expanded online resources are now available and conveniently referenced in chapter sections with icons and URLs. The Sixth Edition also offers you stronger self-assessment tools, with new and expanded critical-thinking questions throughout each chapter and in the end-of-chapter reviews.
Taking advantage of non-scientists' natural curiosity about how the human body works, Human Biology: Concepts and Current Issues sparks readers' interest in science and encourages active learning. Writing specifically for the non-majors human biology course, author Michael D. Johnson seeks to make readers better consumers of health and science information.
Instead of presenting facts to memorize, the magazine-style design and inspired narrative give readers a truly engaging learning tool. Extensive new material on DNA technology, genetic engineering, and environmental issues. For anyone interested in human biology.
In 2008 Dr. Johnson moved to Qatar, on the Arabian Peninsula, to take the position of Associate Dean for Premedical Education at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar. In his new position he directs the premedical education of students from more than 30 countries.
Dr. Johnson received several teaching awards during his career, including the West Virginia University Foundation Outstanding Teacher award and the Distinguished Teacher Award of the School of Medicine. He is a member of the American Physiological Society, the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, the National Association of Biology Teachers, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Table of Contents
1. Human Biology, Science, and Society
2. The Chemistry of Living Things
3. Structure and Function of Cells
4. From Cells to Organ Systems
5. The Skeletal System
6. The Muscular System
8. Heart and Blood Vessels
9. The Immune System and Mechanisms of Defense
10. The Respiratory System: Exchange of Gases
11. The Nervous System: Integration and Control
12. Sensory Mechanisms
13. The Endocrine System
14. The Digestive System and Nutrition
15. The Urinary System
16. Reproductive Systems
17. Cell Reproduction and Differentiation
18. Cancer: Uncontrolled Cell Division and Differentiation
19. Genetics and Inheritance
20. DNA Technology and Genetic Engineering
21. Development and Aging
22. Evolution and the Origins of Life
23. Ecosystems and Populations
24. Human Impacts, Biodiversity, and Environmental Issues