What is included with this book?
Figures and code appear as they do in Xcode 5.x
Covers iOS 7, Xcode 5.x, iPhone, iPad, and More!
Additional files and updates available online
In just 24 sessions of one hour each, learn how to build powerful applications for today’s hottest handheld devices: the iPhone and iPad! Using this book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach, you’ll master every skill and technology you need, from setting up your iOS development environment to building great user interfaces, sensing motion to writing multitasking applications. Each lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success!
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common iOS development tasks.
Quizzes and Exercises at the end of each chapter help you test your knowledge.
By the Way notes present interesting information related to the discussion.
Did You Know? tips offer advice or show you easier ways to perform tasks.
Watch Out! cautions alert you to possible problems and give you advice on how to avoid them.
Printed in full color—figures and code appear as they do in Xcode
1. Preparing your System and iDevice for Development
2. Introduction to Xcode and the iOS Simulator
3. Discovering Objective-C: The Language of Apple Platforms
4. Inside Cocoa Touch
5. Exploring Interface Builder
6. Model-View-Controller Application Design
7. Working with Text, Keyboards, and Buttons
8. Handling Images, Animation, Sliders and Steppers
9. Using Advanced Interface Objects and Views
10. Getting the User's Attention
11. Implementing Multiple Scenes and Popovers
12. Making Choices with Toolbars and Pickers
13. Advanced Storyboards using Navigation and Tab Bar Controllers
14. Navigating Information Using Table Views and Split View Controllers
15. Reading and Writing Application Data
16. Building Responsive and Backward-Compatible User Interfaces
17. Using Advanced Touches and Gestures
18. Sensing Orientation and Motion
19. Working with Rich Media
20. Interacting with Other Applications
21. Implementing Location Services
22. Building Background-Ready Applications
23. Building Universal Applications
24. Application Tracing, Monitoring, and Debugging
Online Appendix: Introducing Xcode Source Control