Your order must be $59 or more to qualify for free economy shipping.
Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace items, eBooks and apparel do not qualify for this offer.
Get Rewarded for Ordering Your Textbooks!Enroll Now
Customer ReviewsRead Reviews
Write a Review
List Price: $66.25
School Leadership and Administration is designed to help prospective and experienced principals, administrators and supervisors increase their knowledge and skills through concepts, case-studies, and simulations. Two parts make up this text. Part I presents important theoretical concepts and research findings that if adequately understood and appropriately applied can improve educators' problem solving and leadership effectiveness. Part II consists of over 65 reality-based case studies, "In-Basket Exercises," simulations, and role-plays to illustrate problems and issues. The case studies, simulations, and exercises stimulate class discussion and reflection on key issues facing today's school administrator with guidelines for thoughtful problem solving and resolution.
Table of Contents
PART I: MAJOR CONCEPTS IN ADMINISTRATION AND THE SOCIAL SCIENCES: CONCEPTUAL TOOLS FOR EFFECTIVE SCHOOL LEADERSHIP
Chapter 1: Decision Making
Chapter 2: Communication
Chapter 3: Authority, Power and Influence
Chapter 4: Group Leadership
Chapter 5: Conflict Management
Chapter 6: Organizational Culture
Chapter 7: School Improvement
PART II: CASE STUDIES AND SIMULATIONS: CLINICAL MATERIALS AND LEARNING EXPERIENCES FOR SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS AND SUPERVISORS
Chapter 8: Introduction to Clinical Materials and Learning Experiences
Chapter 9: Beginning Challenges
1. Preparing for the Job Search
2. From Teacher to Administrator
3. The New Principal (In-Basket Activities)
4. The New Assistant Principal (In-Basket Activities)
5. Resentment over Appointment
6. Why Does a Woman Need to Act Like a Man?
7. Gimme That Old-Time Discipline
8. Is Being Busy Necessarily Productive?
Chapter 10: Student Problems
9. School Yard Dangers
10. Ideas on IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)
11. The Underachiever
12. What Should Be the Role of the Student Newspaper?
13. A Complex Discipline Problem
14. The Drop-Out Problem (Simulation Exercise)
15. Students Can’t Take Pressure Any Longer
16. An Issue of Morals and Priorities
17. "Zero Tolerance" for Weapons in Schools
Chapter 11: Administrator-Staff Relationships
18. Teacher Selection
19. Problems of a Beginning Teacher
20. Faculty Teamwork
21. Who Needs Lesson Plans?
22. Conflict Over Teacher Citizenship Rights
23. Faculty Dissatisfaction and Low Morale
24. Teacher Files a Grievance
25. Teacher Reacts Negatively to Personnel Evaluation
26. Faculty Slowdown
27. Do Women Have Power?
28. Collaboration Woes
Chapter 12: School-Community Relations
29. Curriculum Unit Upsets Parents
30. Communication and Constructed Reality
31. Parental Apathy
32. Wanted: A Plan for Improving Parental and Community Involvement
33. The School-Community Web
34. Developing Student Talent
35. A New Role for the Parents’ Organization
36. How Much Should Parents Be Told?
37. Administrator-Press Relations
38. Public Relations: What’s Really Important?
39. Censorship? Or Parents’ Rights?
40. Financial Crisis!
Chapter 13: Role and Organizational Problems
41. Principal’s Mid-Year Problems and Priorities (In-Basket Activities)
42. Principal’s End-of-the Year Problems and Priorities (In-Basket Activities)
43. Principal’s Dilemma
44. Principal’s Personal Conduct Results in Possible Suspension
45. Intra-Organizational Role Conflict
46. Supervisor-Principal Relationship
47. The Superintendent and the New School Board Members
48. Administrator Evaluation
Chapter 14: Race and Drug Issues
49. Can Total School Integration Be Achieved?
50. Minority Parents Are Dissatisfied with Integration
51. We Want Neighborhood Schools, Too!
52. Metropolitan Integration
53. Parents Detect Racial Disparity
54. Teacher Difficulty in a Multicultural Climate
55. Matter of What?
56. Do (Should?) We Treat Them All Alike?
57. Student Drug Problem at Washington School
58. Do Extreme Times Call for Radical Action? (A Leaderless Group Activity)
59. When A Faculty Member is Suspected of Drug Abuse
60. A Different Kind of "Drug" Problem
Chapter 15: Problems of Change
61. Teacher Tries to Individualize Instruction
62. Effective Schools: How Do We Get There From Here? (A Group Activity)
63. Planning for Improvement
64. School-Based Management
65. Restructuring Staff Evaluation and Supervision
66. Changing the Role of the Building Principal
67. In-Service or Disservice Education? Part I
68. In-Service or Disservice Education? Part II
69. School Choice
70. School District Chips Away at Computer Education Problems