Table of Contents
(NOTE: Readings in bold are new to this edition.)
THE SOCIOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE.
2. Classic: Invitation to Sociology, Peter L. Berger.
3. Contemporary: How Would a Sociologist Look at Sport? Jay J. Coakley.
4. Cross-Cultural: Body Ritual among the Nacirema, Horace Miner.
6. Contemporary: The Importance of Social Research, Earl Babbie.
7. Cross-Cultural: Arab Women in the Field, Soraya Altorki.
9. Classic: Manifest and Latent Functions, Robert K. Merton.
10. Contemporary: Cultural Obsessions with Thinness: African American, Latina, and White Women, Becky W. Thompson.
11. Cross-Cultural: India's Sacred Cow, Marvin Harris.
13. Classic: Gemeinschaft and Gesellschaf, Ferdinand Tönnies.
14. Contemporary: How the Internet Nurtures Long-Distance Relationships and Local Ties, John B. Horrigan.
15. Cross-Cultural: The Amish: A Small Society, John A. Hostetler.
17. Contemporary: Socialization and the Power of Advertising, Jean Kilbourn.
18. Cross-Cultural: Parents' Socialization of Children in Global Perspective, D. Terri Heath.
SOCIAL INTERACTION IN EVERYDAY LIFE.
20. Classic: The Presentation of Self, Erving Goffman.
21. Contemporary: You Just Don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation, Deborah Tannen.
22. Cross-Cultural: The DOs and TABOOs of Body Language around the World, Roger E. Axtell.
GROUPS AND ORGANIZATIONS.
24. Classic: The Characteristics of Bureaucracy, Max Weber.
25. Contemporary: McJobs: McDonaldization and the Workplace, George Ritzer.
26. Cross-Cultural: Japanese Etiquette and Ethics in Business, Boye De Mente.
28. Contemporary: On Being Sane in Insane Places, David L. Rosenhan.
29. Cross-Cultural: The Code of the Streets, Elijah Anderson.
31. Contemporary: Sex in America: How Many Partners Do We Have? Robert T. Michael, John H. Gagnon, Edward O. Laumann, and Gina Kolata.
32. Cross-Cultural: Homosexual Behavior in Cross-Cultural Perspective, J.M. Carrier.
34. Contemporary: Who Has How Much and Why, Andrew Hacker.
35. Cross-Cultural: The Uses of Global Poverty: How Economic Inequality Benefits the West, Daina Stukels Eglitis.
37. Contemporary: How Subtle Sex Discrimination Works, Nijole V. Benokraitis.
38. Cross-Cultural: Save the Children, Mothers and Children in the World Today, Daina Stukels.
RACE AND ETHNICITY.
40. Contemporary: Controlling Images and Black Women's Oppression, Patricia Hill Collins.
41. Contemporary: How Did Jews Became White Folks? Karen Brodkin Sacks.
42. Cross-Cultural: Out of Harmony: Health Problems and Young Native American Men, Jennie R. Joe.
AGING AND THE ELDERLY.
44. Contemporary: How the Grandparent Role Is Changing, Roseann Giarrusso, Merril Silverstein, and Vern L. Bengston.
45. Cross-Cultural: Our Aging World, Frank B. Hobbs and Bonnie L. Damon.
THE ECONOMY AND WORK.
47. Contemporary: When Work Disappears, William Julius Wilson.
48. Cross-Cultural: Getting a Job in Harlem: Experiences of African American, Puerto Rican, and Dominican Youth, Katherine S. Newman.
POLITICS, GOVERNMENT, AND THE MILITARY.
50. Contemporary: Understanding the September 11th Attacks: A Human Rights Approach, Kathryn Sikkink.
51. Cross-Cultural: Freedom in the World: A Global Survey, Adrian Karatnycky.
53. Contemporary: The Decline of Marriage and Fatherhood, David Popenoe.
54. Cross-Cultural: Mate Selection and Marriage around the World, Bron B. Ingoldsby.
56. Contemporary: Seeker Churches: Promoting Traditional Religion in a Nontraditional Way, Kimon Howland Sargeant.
57. Cross-Cultural: Women and Islam, Jane I. Smith.
59. Contemporary: Savage Inequalities: Children in U.S. Schools, Jonathan Kozol.
60. Cross-Cultural: Academic Achievement in Southeast Asian Refugee Families, Nathan Caplan, Marcella H. Choy, and John K. Whitmore.
HEALTH AND MEDICINE.
62. Contemporary: The Health of Latino Families, Ruth E. Zambrana, Claudia Dorrington, and David Hayes-Bautista.
63. Cross-Cultural: Female Genital Mutilation, Efua Dorkenoo and Scilla Elworthy.
POPULATION AND URBANIZATION.
65. Classic: Urbanism as a Way of Life, Louis Wirth.
66. Contemporary: Urban Sprawl: The Formation of Edge Cities, John J. Macionis and Vincent R. Parrillo.
67. Cross-Cultural: Let's Reduce Global Population, J. Kenneth Smail.
ENVIRONMENT AND SOCIETY.
69. Contemporary: Rich Planet, Poor Planet: Global Environment and Poverty in 2001, Christopher Flavin.
70. Cross-Cultural: Supporting Indigenous Peoples, Alan Thein Durning.
COLLECTIVE BEHAVIOR AND SOCIAL MOVEMENTS.
72. Contemporary: The Animal Rights Movement as Moral Crusade, James M. Jasper and Dorothy Nelkin.
73. Cross-Cultural: Abortion Movements in Poland, Great Britain, and the United States, Janet Hadley.
SOCIAL CHANGE AND MODERNITY.
75. Classic: The Disenchantment of Modern Life, Max Weber.
76. Contemporary: The American Paradox: Spiritual Hunger in an Age of Plenty, David G. Myers.
77. Cross-Cultural: The Price of Modernization: The Case of Brazil's Kaiapo Indians, Marlise Simons.